11 - Determination
Decide what you are impassioned by while ensuring it is aligned with your values. Then, be determined to see it through to a favorable outcome, not allowing others to discourage you along the way. Goals and dreams are not accomplished with little effort. Rather, it takes hard work, devotion, and massive effort to reach them, avoiding distractions as you do. Choose to perceive obstacles as challenges and embrace the opportunity to "learn and earn" from them. Change your perspective and use them to your advantage. Determination is continuing to stay on course, pursuing your goal, project, or passion despite obstacles or difficulties that may evolve, and never giving up. There are many benefits to determination.
Benefits of Being Determined:
- Increased self-worth. There is a sense of "good" pride when you focus on a worthwhile goal and put effort into attaining it. You will build confidence and self-worth as you experience the process unfolding, knowing your expertise and hard work are responsible for the progression. Even if the final result isn’t exactly as you would have liked, there is a sense of pride for the character and perseverance brought forth in the process. And as the outcome unfolds, there is an additional feeling of accomplishment in having reached the pinnacle from all effort put forth.
- Character development. What you pursue for worthy reasons will build overall positive and favorable character attributes and traits that benefit everyone you are in contact with, from your family and work environment including your local community. People of good character are invaluable to every entity. Working with a streamlined devotion, with or without a prospect of success, builds many essential character traits advantageous to your professional, personal, and spiritual well-being in body, mind, and soul. You will have an inner strength that fuels the fire of desire to succeed wherever you place your focus.
- Admiration. It is admirable to observe someone who has the courage and strength to continue despite obstacles and challenges and is willing to stay the course of action already in pursuit. People feel high regard for a willingness, motivation, and passion to proceed through challenges and adversity. You will be highly acclaimed for this dedicated perseverance.
- Discipline. Working continuously despite difficulties develops discipline, as it is necessary to be organized and prepared as challenges occur. Discipline is always a key ingredient for the successful launch of any endeavor. You must be self-controlled, levelheaded, and have a deliberate plan. You are willing to refrain and restrain as much as act and attack. Discipline also integrates a thought-filled and sensible temperament with an awareness of inhibitions.
- Favorable outcomes. While every outcome will not be successful, there is a much higher probability of a favorable one with hard work and determination. Just as you will have a vested interest in your undertaking, such passion will invoke positive energy and an increased likelihood of a promising result.
- Wisdom. When you are determined for anything, growth will always be a result. You will seek information, consult with other people specializing in the topic of concern, and learn as much as possible to reach a favorable and productive outcome. You will grow in knowledge, understanding, wisdom, and the other benefits mentioned above.
- More resolve. As action leads to more action, determination also strengthens your resolve. The more determined you become, the more determined you will remain. As results or even progress develop, your ability to make clear firm decisions is exercised, advancing you even closer to your desired outcome.
- Growth of others. You are a leader by example. What greater way is there than by your own effort and determination to mentor through your actions? While you are focused on successfully fulfilling each endeavor, understand you will be expending positive energy that will flow and grow in those around you. As a complementary effect, the more positive energy and high-frequency vibes you transform, the more motivation you will draw from those you oversee or even anyone who observes your powerful display of leadership through your determination and perseverance. As you successfully navigate through and around obstacles and challenges (opportunities), even more growth will occur as you are observed using imagination and displaying patience in your steadfast endurance and continuance.
As a determined person, you are steadfast and unwavering. You are faithful, committed, and devoted to the object of focus. It takes determination and hard work to accomplish things well and even more for extreme success. Generally, the more determined and invested you are, the more likely you will prevail to an exponential measure. Nothing big usually occurs without first being determined. Think about the greatest accomplishments in your life. How many come to mind? Did they happen by chance? Consider the biggest accomplishment. To what extent did determination play a role?
“Never go backward. Attempt, and do it with all your might. Determination is power.” Charles Simmons
“Determination is only available to those who persevere and have the attitude of never giving up just because one thing did not work.” Byron Pulsifer
“The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man’s determination.” Tommy Lasorda
“We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference and that a small group of determined people can change the course of history.” Sonia Johnson
What are your thoughts about this quality?
Who will you share this with?