Time for Positive Changes - A Call to Action!
—Jill Fandrich, PharmD, CRPh
With each new year comes new possibilities. What does success look like to you? How are you going to make this year stand out? What will you do differently? Make this year memorable. What are your goals for this year? Did you write them down? What do you wish to accomplish? What have you been putting off? Is there a project that has been on the back burner? How about changes within yourself? Begin by making a list of projects waiting for your attention and another list of personal changes you have only considered so far. Now is the time to take action!
Here are some benefits of choosing to make changes now:
1. Personal growth - Trying something different can help you grow as a person and develop new skills and perspectives. Identifying and prioritizing positive changes is the first step in allowing your mind to start processing this information. Declutter your mind by putting them in writing and organizing them in order of importance. What gets written down gets addressed. Perhaps be creative in how you will accomplish the different tasks or goals. Try seeing things from a different perspective. Be intentional about this and strive to learn something new in the process.
2. Overcoming fear - Trying new things can help you overcome fear and build self-confidence. Self-doubt is a common disadvantage that creeps into daily life. Cut to the source of the doubt. What is causing it? Can you substantiate the reason or cause? Is it real, or is it something that hasn't actually happened? Consider some small wins in your life and take advantage of the feelings of accomplishment that accompany them. Embrace and relish them. Allow yourself time to enjoy the wins while you continue to counter the fear with facts and sound reasoning. Be kind to yourself. Work daily to dissolve this obstacle of fear.
3. Broadening experiences - Trying something different can broaden your experiences and knowledge, leading to a more enriched life. Allow new perspectives and ideas to permeate your mind. Be open-minded and unbiased as you consider new possibilities and enjoy something new each day. You will grow as you continually learn and experience new things. Your life will be more seasoned, so take the time to spice it up.
4. Breaking routine - Trying something new can break the monotony of daily life and add excitement and variety. It is fun to embrace variety. Sometimes, when you follow the same routine, you stop growing and are no longer cognitively stimulated. Challenging your mind to process various things in new ways is important. Take a different way home or try a new grocery store. Tune in to a different source of information or engage in a new exercise. There are so many diverse possibilities waiting to be explored.
5. Discovering new passions - Trying something different can help you discover new hobbies or interests you may not have known about before. Imagine what you could be missing by following the same routine. Think of some exciting memories in your past and recall the events leading to that moment. Some fascinating times or passions may have been undiscovered without an opportunity to try something new. Make sure you never pass up the potential of a new interest or passion. There is so much more yet to be discovered!
6. Challenging yourself - Trying new things can challenge you and push you out of your comfort zone, leading to personal development. If you aren't being challenged, you aren't growing. It takes feeling a little uncomfortable sometimes in order for growth to occur. Stretch your limits and see what you are capable of doing. You will never know until you push beyond where you thought your limits were. Be determined to grow and persevere with intention.
7. Creating memories - Trying something different can create new and unique memories that will enrich your life and provide you with stories to share. Memories are so important. Not only will trying something new continue to stimulate cognitive function, but it will also provide wonderful and treasured memories to last a lifetime. Make it a habit to create new and beautiful memories.
What are your reasons for holding back? Are there other priorities that need to be tackled first? What are the pros and cons of continuing to wait? What are the pros and cons of taking action now? What would it take to prioritize some changes and take action? Make learning and growing in a positive direction not only a goal but a habit you practice daily. Choose a positive mindset and make it automatic that you strive for continued growth personally as well as professionally. And most of all, enjoy the journey!
Time for action!!
Learn more about these and other vital qualities and skills as you read The Three-Step Process for Personal and Professional Growth.
Trying something different can open up new possibilities and lead to personal growth and discovery.
Who will you share this with?
(Email addresses remain private.)