Benefits of Chamomile Tea
—Jill Fandrich, PharmD, CRPh
Chamomile tea is a popular herbal tea known for its soothing and calming properties. Besides its delightful aroma and taste, this tea also offers several health benefits. Here are some of the top health benefits of chamomile tea:
1. Promotes better sleep - Chamomile tea is often consumed before bedtime due to its relaxing effects. It contains apigenin, an antioxidant that binds to certain receptors in the brain, reducing anxiety and initiating sleep.
2. Reduces anxiety and stress - Chamomile tea has natural calming properties that can help reduce anxiety and stress. It has been found to increase serotonin and melatonin levels, which promote relaxation and improve mood.
3. Aids digestion - Chamomile tea can help soothe gastrointestinal issues such as indigestion, bloating, and stomach cramps. It acts as an anti-inflammatory and relaxes muscles in the intestines, promoting healthy digestion.
4. Supports immune system - The antioxidants present in chamomile tea can strengthen the immune system and help protect against infections. It has antimicrobial properties that may aid in combating various bacteria and viruses.
5. Relieves menstrual discomfort - Chamomile tea has been traditionally used to alleviate menstrual cramps and other symptoms associated with menstruation. It acts as a natural muscle relaxant and can help ease pain and reduce inflammation.
6. Manages diabetes - Some studies suggest that chamomile tea may help regulate blood sugar levels, making it beneficial for individuals with diabetes. It may also improve insulin sensitivity and lipid profiles.
7. Anti-inflammatory properties - Chamomile tea contains anti-inflammatory compounds, such as flavonoids, which can help reduce inflammation and ease symptoms of conditions like arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, and skin conditions like eczema.
8. Boosts skin health - Chamomile tea has proven benefits for the skin when used topically. Its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties can help soothe skin irritation, reduce redness, and promote wound healing.
9. Supports heart health - Regular consumption of chamomile tea has been linked to a reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases. It may help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, improving heart health and reducing the risk of heart-related complications.
10. Provides antioxidant protection - Chamomile tea contains potent antioxidants that help combat free radicals in the body. These antioxidants can help protect against chronic diseases, promote healthy aging, and support overall well-being.
It's important to note that while chamomile tea is generally safe for most people, those with specific allergies or on certain medications should consult their healthcare provider before consuming it regularly.
Like a gentle wind that carries away strife and brings tranquility, chamomile tea has the ability to soothe the body, ease the mind, and restore balance to the soul with every sip.
Who will you share this with?
(Email addresses remain private.)