Bentonite Clay as a Dietary Supplement
—Jill Fandrich, PharmD, CRPh
Bentonite clay has gained popularity as a dietary supplement due to its numerous potential health benefits. Derived from volcanic ash, bentonite clay is rich in minerals and has been used for centuries in traditional medicine practices. Here are some key reasons why people choose to supplement their diet with bentonite clay:
1. Detoxification - Bentonite clay has a powerful detoxifying effect on the body. It has a unique structure that allows it to bind to toxins, heavy metals, and other impurities, helping to remove them from the body. This detoxification process can support overall health and well-being.
2. Digestive support - Bentonite clay has been used to support digestive health. When consumed, it can effectively absorb gas, toxins, and harmful bacteria in the gut, helping to alleviate symptoms such as bloating, indigestion, and constipation. It can also support healthy gut flora balance and promote regular bowel movements.
3. Immune system support - The minerals found in bentonite clay, including calcium, magnesium, and potassium, can help support a healthy immune system. These minerals are essential for proper immune function and can contribute to a stronger overall defense against infections and diseases.
4. Skin health - Bentonite clay has been used externally as a natural skincare remedy for its ability to draw out impurities, unclog pores, and improve the overall complexion. When taken internally as a supplement, it can also support healthy skin from within, addressing issues like acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
5. Mineral supplementation - Bentonite clay is known to be rich in minerals that are vital for maintaining optimal health. These minerals include calcium, potassium, magnesium, silica, and iron, among others. Incorporating bentonite clay as a dietary supplement can help ensure your body receives these essential minerals, especially if you have a nutrient deficiency.
When considering bentonite clay as a dietary supplement, choosing a high-quality, food-grade product specifically formulated for human consumption is essential. It's also advisable to consult with a healthcare professional, particularly if you have any underlying health conditions or are currently taking medications.
As with any dietary supplement, following the recommended dosage instructions and monitoring your body's response is important. If you experience any adverse reactions or have concerns, discontinue use and consult a healthcare professional. Bentonite clay can interact with certain medications, so it's crucial to seek medical advice before adding it to your routine.
The effectiveness of bentonite clay as a dietary supplement lies in its ability to cleanse, detoxify, regulate, and nourish the body from within.
Who will you share this with?
(Email address remain private.)