Benefits of Calendula for Wound Healing
—Jill Fandrich, PharmD, CRPh
Calendula, also known as marigold, is a versatile herb used for centuries in traditional medicine for its healing properties. When it comes to internal wound healing, calendula offers several noteworthy benefits.
1. Anti-inflammatory properties - Calendula contains anti-inflammatory compounds that can help reduce inflammation inside the body, aiding in the healing process of internal wounds. Reducing swelling and inflammation can alleviate pain and discomfort associated with internal injuries.
2. Wound healing stimulation - Calendula stimulates the production of collagen, a protein that assists in the formation of new tissue and accelerates wound healing. It also promotes epithelial cell growth, which aids in closing internal wounds faster.
3. Antimicrobial effects - Calendula possesses antimicrobial properties that can help prevent infections in internal wounds. It acts against various harmful bacteria and fungi, reducing the risk of bacterial colonization in the affected area and promoting a healthy healing environment.
4. Soothing and pain-relieving effects - Calendula has soothing and analgesic properties that can help alleviate pain and discomfort associated with internal wounds. It can bring relief by reducing nerve sensitivity and calming inflammation within the affected area.
5. Antioxidant protection - The presence of antioxidants in calendula helps neutralize free radicals, which can damage cells and hinder the healing process. By providing antioxidant protection, calendula aids in the regeneration of healthy tissues and supports the overall healing of internal wounds.
6. Gut health support - Internal wounds in the gastrointestinal tract or other organs can be challenging to heal due to constant exposure to digestive juices and bacteria. Calendula's antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties can help protect the gastrointestinal lining, reduce irritation, and aid in the healing of internal wounds.
It is important to note that while calendula can complement conventional medical treatments for internal wounds, it is essential to consult with a healthcare professional before using any herbal remedy, especially for internal injuries. They can provide guidance on the appropriate dosage and suitability for individual circumstances.
A healthy body mirrors a blooming garden, and just as calendula flowers unfold their petals, the benefits of calendula for internal wound healing unfurl within us, nourishing, soothing, and guiding our journey toward optimal wellness.
Who will you share this with?
(Email addresses remain private.)