Mindfulness Practices to Build Immunity
—Jill Fandrich, PharmD, CRPh
Practicing mindfulness can positively impact overall health and well-being, boosting immune system function. Here are some mindfulness practices that can help build immunity:
1. Prayer - Prayer is known to have many benefits for mental and spiritual well-being, and it can also positively impact physical health, including strengthening the immune system. Prayer provides a calming effect by focusing the mind and promoting a sense of inner peace, nailing your burdens to the cross, and reducing stress levels. Scientific studies have shown that chronic stress weakens the immune system, making individuals more susceptible to illnesses. By alleviating stress, prayer indirectly contributes to strengthening immunity. Prayer can bring about a sense of hope, gratitude, and positivity. This positive emotional state can have a direct impact on immune function. Positive emotions are associated with improved immune response, enhanced production of antibodies, and increased activity of immune cells. Prayer can encourage individuals to reflect on their thoughts and behaviors, promoting self-awareness and personal growth. This can lead to the adoption of healthier lifestyles, such as regular exercise, balanced nutrition, and adequate sleep. These lifestyle choices are crucial for maintaining a robust immune system.
Many people pray within religious communities, where they find support and connection with other like-minded people. Feeling supported and connected has been shown to positively influence immune function. The emotional and social support received through prayer can reduce feelings of loneliness and isolation, thereby boosting immunity. Prayer often involves deep concentration, meditation, reflection and dependence on our Creator, and mindfulness. These practices have been found to positively influence the mind-body connection, facilitating the release of beneficial neurotransmitters and reducing the production of stress hormones. This mind-body balance supports immune health and overall well-being. Prayer through faith can evoke a strong belief and expectation of healing. Believing in the healing power of prayer can activate the body's healing mechanisms and boost immunity. Incorporating prayer into your daily routine can complement overall health efforts. By reducing stress, enhancing emotional well-being, promoting healthy lifestyle choices, cultivating social support, and nurturing the mind-body connection, prayer can play a role in building and maintaining a strong immune system.
2. Mindful breathing - Take a few moments each day to focus on your breath. Close your eyes, breathe deeply, and feel the inhale and exhale. This helps to slow down the body's stress response and promotes relaxation, which supports immune system function.
3. Tapping into gratitude and praise - Research has shown that gratitude practices can enhance immune system activity. Each day, take a moment to reflect on the things you are grateful for. This can be done through journaling, mentally noting them, or expressing gratitude to others. Get your praise on! It is difficult to be sad, lonely, aggravated, stressed, or depressed while praising and worshipping God. Raise your eyes and hearts up to Heaven and take the focus off of yourself and onto your Creator.
4. Body scan meditation - Practice a body scan meditation, bringing attention to each part of your body and noticing any tension or sensations. This helps to cultivate awareness and relaxation, reducing stress hormone production and supporting your immune health.
5. Eating mindfully - Practice mindful eating by paying attention to your food, savoring each bite, and engaging all your senses. This can enhance digestion and nutrient absorption, leading to improved immune function.
6. Nature immersion - Spend time in nature and be fully present in the outdoors. Take a mindful walk, and notice the sounds, textures, and sights around you. Pet a dog or a cat. Studies suggest that being in nature can lower stress levels, thereby positively impacting immune function. Enjoy the beauty of God's creation and His creatures.
7. Loving kindnesses - Practice loving kindnesses to others. Whether a complete stranger, an acquaintance, or a beloved friend or family member, perform intentional loving gestures toward others throughout the day. This practice can reduce negative emotions and boost positive emotions that strengthen the immune system.
8. Cultivating mindful awareness - Bring mindfulness into your daily activities. Whether washing dishes, walking, or talking to someone, be fully present in the moment and engage with your senses. This helps to reduce stress and supports immune system function.
9. Do what you love to do - What comes easy to you? What do you enjoy that you haven't made time for lately? Is there an exercise or sport like tennis or golf that you put on the wayside? Remember what it is that relaxes you and that you enjoy, and incorporate it into your schedule, whether once a month, week, or even daily. Listen to your favorite music, eat your favorite foods, and burn your favorite scented candles or essential oils. Work on a puzzle, treat yourself to a nap or delight in an ice cream treat. Find what relaxes you the most.
Remember that building immunity is a holistic process that involves various factors such as a nutritious diet, regular exercise, and adequate sleep. Mindfulness practices can complement these efforts and contribute to overall well-being and immune health. Also, remember to stay properly hydrated so you can look and feel your best.
Mindfulness is not just a buzzword but a powerful tool to fortify your immunity. By nurturing present-moment awareness and cultivating a non-judgmental attitude, you create a fertile environment within yourself for the optimal functioning of your immune system. In the chaos of life, let mindfulness be the anchor that strengthens your body's defense and enables you to navigate the uncertainties with grace and resilience.
Who will you share this with?
(Email addresses remain private.)